:: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: ::

Thursday, October 7, 2021

The Marshal’s Lady by Josie Malone

I chose this book because I needed a time travel romance for my book club list this month.  It was a big bonus that THE MARSHAL’S LADY was also a western.

I have read exactly one other time travel romance so most of my thoughts centered on the time travel part.  How women were perceived in 1888 was very different so when Rad, the marshal is first encountered by Beth, he assumed she was male because she was out on her own.  This “modern woman” theme played out as Rad’s appreciation for Beth’s skills were displayed.  She also had the benefit of her military background and was able to repurpose items to a modern application.

I really enjoyed the book for it’s attention to detail and  the development of the primary and secondary characters.  It was particularly notable that they vocabulary and style of talking was very important to setting the scene for the past.

The thing that was also interesting is how we followed the criminal being tracked by Beth in the present while she lived her new life in 1888.  I wondered through the whole thing how it was going to end - does she wake up and find herself back in the present, or does she stay in the past?  You’ll have to read it to find out.

I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving a review.

No comments: