Tuesday, March 30, 2021

The Freshman by Sophie Lark

THE FRESHMAN is a gripping novel of the young adult children of mafia families around the world attending the Kingmakers Academy to learn their role in their crime families from learning to lead to setting up shell corporations to launder money.

Leo and Anna come from Chicago mafia families and Leo’s cousin Dean is also a member of the freshman class.  Back in the day, Dean’s father Adrian was set on fire by Leo’s father so, Dean is not in a cousinly mood.

The book introduces us to everything about the Academy from classes to it’s isolated ancient castle on an island in the Adriatic Sea.  


I couldn’t put the book down.  I liked Anna most of all.  She was so grounded and knew what she wanted.  She didn’t let irrational thinking derail herself.  Leo and Dean were transformed because of her, yet in wildly different ways. Anna’s ethereal beauty, intelligence, and kindness attracts both young men creating further conflict between Leo and Dean, and internal struggles within Anna.

I’m so impressed with this start of a new series.  I loved the stories about their parents in the Brutal Birthrights series, but this is not just a continuation of that.  There is an entirely different feel to it that makes me eagerly await the next book.

I received an advance copy of this book.  This is my voluntary review.


No comments:

Post a Comment