Wednesday, March 16, 2022

The Savage by Sophie Lark

The thing I like most about Sophie Lark’s books is they immerse the reader in the culture with intelligence.  She never assumes we won’t understand the history, language or societal mores in which the her characters exist.

THE SAVAGE pushes hard at the edges of darkness.  It challenges the reader to accept a character like Sabrina who seems to have few morals or control over her danger loving behavior while at the same time respecting her skill, intelligence and ingenuity.  The pairing with Adrik should put into question his own control and its impact, yet we understand his apparent weakness despite him being a strong leader of his brothers.  But he regularly gives up control to both Sabrina and his pack without diminishing his power.

Simply put, this is a book I loved to hate.  I couldn’t put down.  I was put off from the start by Sabrina.  I was disappointed in Adrik for not being able to go alpha on her.  I kept thinking what a tough character Adrik must have been to write for that reason.  It does not disappoint when it comes to passion and decadence.  

So I read this advance copy of THE SAVAGE to offer my voluntary opinion of this addition to the Kingmakers series that I didn’t know I was missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment