Sunday, October 2, 2022

Phoenix’s Unlikely Prodigy by MaryAnn Clarke

I really enjoyed reading PHOENIX’S UNLIKELY PRODIGY, a military, single mom, secret baby, small town and second chance romance. Phoenix is the military nickname Pete acquired when he left town with his unrequited love for Jeannie.

Jeannie left town not long after. Believing Pete (Phoenix) was dead she raised her son Will on her own, giving up her dreams. In order to pursue the MBA she always wanted, Jeannie move back home to her parents with son Will.

We are treated to a Phoenix that makes his intention to pursue Jeannie the first moment his eyes land on her. Phoenix is a great guy and all military. There is quite a bit of military jargon and a peek at life in the special forces in Canada as well.

Jeannie is all one step forward and two steps back. She is attracted to Phoenix but afraid of what happens when her secret is exposed.

The writing is good and the story interesting. My only complaint is with how many people there are to keep track of in the story. It’s starts getting tedious keeping the large friend group and often their families, Phoenix and Jeanne’s family members, Phoenix’s buddies from the Navy and the new guys in the mission - it would have been easier to pick a few people to detail (as in leading to the next story).

It’s a book I’d recommend and I would read other books in the series.

I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily

No comments:

Post a Comment