:: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: ::

Friday, May 10, 2024

The Summer I Destroyed You by Elizabeth O’Roark

THE SUMMER I DESTROYED YOU is a reverse grumpy/sunshine, Emerson is the wealthy boss, and Liam is the one that eschews one-night stands. So since a lot of the  plot is the opposite of what I’m used to reading, I’m not a bit surprised that I loved the book despite Emmy being a FMC that I had to dig a little deep to like - until I got to know her through Liam’s eyes.

The story leans heavily on Emmy’s body image issues developed during childhood. The author nails a lot of the internal dialogue and haunted feelings that linger after the emotional abuse a young girl can suffer at the hands of cruel peers and nasty adults. How Emmy chooses to collect from those that did her wrong is part of the story. That combined with unanswered questions from the past makes the book a page turner.

But for me, it was the romance that was so good from the start. Liam’s our hero in loving a woman so sure she is unloveable that she strikes out first and hard. You won’t believe what she does that he sees right through; what he puts up with until she learns he sees her worth. I just loved this couple more and more as the story unfolded.

I enjoyed a copy of this book ahead of its release and in my opinion, it’s a book you’ll not want to miss reading.

No comments: