I’ve sat and thought about this book for awhile trying to decide what I would say about it to convey why it was such a good book to read. It’s difficult because it’s not so much the plot (excellent) or characters (also excellent), but it’s the way the book makes you feel mostly for Nora, but also for Charlie and Libby (Nora’s sister). Nora and Charlie’s connection in the book publishing world adds a rich dimension to the story.
Nora is wound tighter than a spring taking the weight of everyone’s happiness on her shoulders - convincing herself that is what makes her happy. She has been taking care of Libby since their mother died. Libby is expecting her third child.
She, Libby and Charlie end up in the small North Carolina town that the latest book one of her authors set her story - a best seller, a book Libby loved, and a book Charlie declined to edit. You start to wonder if it’s where lives are becoming unraveled, or if it is where jagged ends meet and are being braided together.
The story had me smiling and laughing as well as being sad and frustrated. It also had my undivided attention from start to finish. When I finished, I thought, “Now, that was a good book.”
No comments:
Post a Comment