:: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: ::

Sunday, June 26, 2022

The Devil You Know by Elizabeth O’Roark

THE DEVIL YOU KNOW is a fabulous book.  The humor is intelligent and the storylines thought provoking, but it is the toe-curling romance between Gemma and Ben that prevented me from putting this book down.  I kid you not - the first time I looked up from the book to observe the family chaos going on around I was already at the 81% finished part of the book.

I chose it to read because of the competing, ambitious lawyers.  That part is done very well with the cases and clients they competed for, and the types of cases Gemma worked on and why.

But the romance gets revealed little by little. Gemma sees everything through a lens fogged up by immoral and unethical men in her life.  The story is told entirely from her point of view, so what we learn about Ben comes from observing.  The reader is very much in Gemma’s head, and it turns out to be quite the ride for her.

Highly recommended.

No comments: