The reasons I enjoyed THE BIG FAKE all come from great writing. I always enjoy the fake relationship trope, and this story doesn’t deviate from that formula, but the quality characters, smooth dialogue and the seamless plot made this book a real page turner.
Dean and Pearl are both so funny, and the humor was not run-of-the mill cliche type humor. The teasing banter is clever and unique. Some of the secondary characters bring in their quirky idiosyncrasies but I really liked that Penelope Bloom didn’t keep relying on the same gimmicks to be funny. It was really fresh.
I loved the romance. Dean was like the perfect man that had all this confidence except when it came to sustaining a relationship. He carried Pearl through her anxieties with such affection. He didn’t even get “judgey” when she threw up on him…twice.
Pearl cared so much about doing right by everyone that she gave herself panic attacks, but Dean soothed her. He encourages her to trust herself, but messes it up when she does. So if it is all so perfect, why do they still split up (spectacularly)? Read and enjoy this book.
I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving a review.
No comments:
Post a Comment