...after one has forgotten what one has learned in school -- Albert Einstein
Way to go, Einstein. Now you have a good portion of the population believing school has no purpose. Well, maybe not that many really know you said that. I remember a similar quote that goes something like "Learning is what is left after you have forgotten everything else", but someone more philosophical said it so it had more of an effect on me. I actually think about it when I am teaching because I know a lot will be forgotten and my goal is to have a good portion left in the "learning" partition.
Something happens in 7th grade sucking prior knowledge, memory, and even work ethic from what used to be the mind of a normal young person. Thursday I handed something out for students to complete. Ninety percent got right to it, were focused, and finished in the time given. Two months from now that will be more like 50%. Some will even act like they don't know what I'm saying when I give simple directions.
I best enjoy it while I can.
No comments:
Post a Comment