:: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: ::

Sunday, September 11, 2011

I fear one day I'll meet God...

He'll sneeze and I won't know what to say. - Ronnie Shakes
A topic arose on my FB feed where someone stated all problems would be solved if we would just put required prayer in schools and then putting God into every other aspect of life. I made the remark in his thread that anyone can pray whenever they want, the implication being that no one was stopping prayer in schools or anywhere else for people that wanted to pray. That seemed to serve as a bucket of cold water on that thread.
What is starting to grate on me is that I feel I should be tolerant of peoples' religious views and so I rarely comment on what is flawed in some of the thinking, and how excessive I find the Godspeak, but then I realized the same folks are not being tolerant of my religious views which are basically that your relationship with God should be a private one and if you want company, that's what church is for.
I don't go to FB to join a prayer circle. I don't believe that the people with the most prayers win. I can't see how forcing someone to pray in school is beneficial and I really doubt God wants a lot of prayers from people that are being forced to say them because it is 9:02 AM. I don't want to see students praying to pass a test when studying works better.
Today is the 10th anniversary of the attacks on the World Trade Center (it's not the 10th anniversary of 9/11 because that happens annually). It is a good day to remember those that perished and those who suffered loss, but I'm not going to pray about it. God knows what happened and to whom and I believe allocates his resources to those that need it, not those that can get the most prayers said.
And that's the Sunday Sermon.



No comments: