:: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: ::

Sunday, November 1, 2020

First to Fail by Marie Johnston

The character of Chris appears in both of the other books in the series although you don’t have to read them to enjoy this story.  I did, so that influences my take on the story.

I’ll admit it took me a good third of the book to accept the Chris character.  He didn’t fit my idea of him at all.  The Chris in this story was much better in all regards.  It was like adding color to something to shades of gray.  Because of that, it was hard for me to imagine him with Natalia, who came off as bold and bright, being together.  Another problem was I used to work with a guy named Chris who had a daughter and he was so monochromatic it wasn’t even funny.

What a great character Natalia was!  She was on a broad continuum of contrasting features and all of them were written to make her a strong character that had her vulnerabilities.  She really had so many layers and they kept the story interesting.

So, while I got off to a slow start, I am glad I kept reading.


I received a free copy of this book and am voluntarily leaving a review.

No comments: